Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Happy Birthday

My baby sister today, turns 26. TWENTY SIX, for those of you doing the math, that makes her 10 1/2 years younger than me.

I still have a hard time thinking of her as an adult, even though at her age I was a married mom of 2. I can't think that way. she, thank God, has gained enough wisdom through my mistakes, to remain both single and child free.

I always feel a little guilty, when i think of her. I was horrified when my parents told me she was on the way. Ugh, my firends were going to know my parents had sex???!!!??? ewwwww And there were times during her toddler days when I wanted to throw her at any passing adult, just because at 12, thats how you feel sometimes. But now I'm glad she's around.

I kind of think of her sometimes as my first child, with 3 other kids around, I was her babysitter...constantly. But I learned early on this was my shot, one of my sibs would be cool as hell. The girl knew all the members of Duran Duran before she knew the abc's. And she was my little princess, she wanted the pink fur jacket, and the tea sets, and the pretty dresses. Unlike my other sister, who spent her tween years pretending she was a boy.

One of my best memories was taking her to see New Kids on The Block. She was so excited, she screamed through the entire show, and made me proud by not lowering decibels, not even once.

She amazes me, she has her faults. We all do, but she turned out pretty damn great considering what her life was like. She had been through more at 7, than I ever could have imangined at her age. She never knew the normal family I had when I was her age, and she survived. My other sister and I had each other. My brothers and her had a lot of shiznit to deal with, and they all turned out to be so great...I'd like to think I am to thank, but really I'm not.

I am sometimes in awe of her abilities, she is so confident and sure of herself. I wish I had a 10th of her hutzpah. I really do. Whatever that girl attempts, gets DONE, it's amazing. So Nance..here's to ya....even if I forget to call you later, because someone has too much homeowrk or something...Happy Birthday, I love you!

No comments: